Monday, May 21, 2012

Is that a Paw?

Jack's parents gifted us a lovely keepsake for Shelby's arrival.  An adorable shadow box, featuring her baby photo and hand/foot imprints. It arrived several days ago, but I wanted to do it over a weekend when Jack could lend a hand because I knew it would be tricky....but I had no idea HOW tricky it would be.

This is the product/project we were attempting to complete:

http://gifts.redenvelope.com/baby/deluxe-baby-keepsake-kit-30000224?ref=REDorganicgglgeneric_&prid=rbseogg&viewpos=1&trackingpgroup=rbbsl


We started with the foot. I took Shelby out of her sleeper (which ticked her off) while Dad prepared the molding dough.  We finally corralled her foot and took the first imprint. Of course, she curled her toes all up and it looked more like an animal print, than a baby print.  We can't have our baby's footprint immortalized resembling an animal! Attempt 2: Great toes, but foot didn't make a mark. Attempt 3: Dad tried to make it deeper, but the foot was not lined up exactly; result = big foot baby. Attempt 4: Success! A perfectly printed, kissable foot.



Now onto the hands.

I took Shelby upstairs, changed her, nursed her and calmed her down. Meanwhile, Dad prepped the other dough. Mind you, the foot exercise consumed about 45 minutes,  when it was all said and done. Jack came upstairs and tried to get the hand print. No such luck. Shelby has an iron grip, I am not kidding. Her hands were clinched and there was no changing it. After a while she became fussy, so I walked her around and tired again 30 minutes later. No dice. Another round......diaper, nurse, calm, no go. Finally, she was zonked, out for the night. Worrying that the dough would start to set, we gave it another attempt. Her whole body was a noodle - except of course her hand! Meanwhile the whole thing is making me giggling, so I can't help but laugh and continue to disrupt my baby girl. We thought we could try a fist, so we gave that a whirl and then determined it looked redicualous, so Jack re-rolled the dough. FINALLY, after 4.5 hours of failed attempts, we were able to get a flat hand on the dough. Is it perfect, no way, but I love it. The story that goes along with it, makes it perfect.

A perfect hand for spiking volleyballs!







No comments:

Post a Comment