Time to Move On, Time to Get Goin'
This week marks not only the end of my maternity leave, but the end of a small chapter in my life. I definitely hope to have more children, but I know that any future leave won't be like this one. I won't be able to just hold my peanut for hours on end and just focus on all things baby. I will have Shelby to chase around, entertain and love on too. I will also have to schlep baby 2 around to various activities.....I am sure a toddler doesn't do too well cooped up for 12 weeks (or 12 days for that matter). I am sure the only thing better than one sweet child is two, but I can't help to get sentimental.
I have been beyond grateful that I really haven't had to stress about work much. After about the first 2 weeks of leave, my phone was no longer synched to my work email, making it really easy for me to disconnect. I would check my inbox every week or two, but only to make sure there was nothing personal or super urgent in there. I report back to the office on Monday morning. I was a big Tom Petty fan in junior high and high school. Despite the fact the original lyrics are about a break up (I think), the lyrics to his song "Time to Move On" keep playing in my head...
Time to Move On
Time to Get Goin'
What lies ahead I have no way of knowin'
etc., etc.,
Monday will also be sweet Shelby's first day of day care. Sighhhhh. I attempted to get her in for half days this week to transition her in, but they said that actually makes things more difficult; they like to start the babies off with their routines on day one. Shelby is a major creature of habit, so I suppose that is probably a good idea. She still resists the bottle, which of course, gives me great anxiety about leaving her for 8 hours at a time. Thing around here have been a full on bottle battleground for about 4 weeks and I have EVERY type of bottle they make....Born Free, Tommee Tippee, Avent, Playtex, etc. I hope it's just a battle of wills and that when the time comes, she'll eat. She has taken the Advent bottles a couple of times, but it has to be the perfect scenario for her. Other friends who have nursed their babies said they found themselves in similar situations and the Program Director at the school reassured me that "she's never seen a baby starve."
I have give Jack some MAJOR kudos for all his help over the last 3 months as well....especially in the beginning. It wasn't until recently that I could dash to the store while she was sleeping or even run a couple of errands with her. He was a major help with grocery runs, cooking, helping with dinner, chores, etc. He has also been a trooper with Shelby and ummmm her method for "expressing her love" for Daddy (ie screaming her head off). She has been slow to take to her Daddy, but Jack has powered through hour-long screaming sessions with her so I could run to the gym or various things. I feel like this will get better after some time in day care and after she is accustom to the bottle. Hope so.....
So for now I will just soak up these last few days. I have quite a few social things lined up between now and Monday - probably more than I've had in several weeks. I do look forward to some adult interaction and not being trapped in my house all day, but my heart does break for sweet Shelby.
As my Dad always say, "On With the Adventure!" So here we go.
No comments:
Post a Comment