'Twas the Night Before Christmas
...and I went to the hospital to meet my baby girl. It
started like a normal Thursday. Jack went to work, I answered some emails and
Shelby downed some "breakfast milk" while watching morning cartoons.
For the day, I had three things on my to-do list: 1) Finish a press release 2)
Make it to the grocery store and 3) Let Shelby make Christmas cookies. We had
not communicated to Shelby when Santa
was coming, for fear that I would go into labor and dash her dreams, and as it turned
out -- that was a wise decision.
As I impatiently made my way through a crowded grocery store
on XMas eve, I was cramping. I wanted nothing more than to get the heck out of
there. My mom says people were giving me stares left and right - maybe they knew
something I did not know. When we got home, I quickly unloaded the groceries
and got Shelby started on decorating cookies. I was going to bake them and then
decorate them, but my mom had the wise suggestion of eliminating a step and
just grabbing some from the bakery. Thanks mom!
Shelby had a great time decorating cookies and the moment
she was done, I cleaned her up and got
her down for a nap. I was waiting for her to nap so I could focus on edited a
very important press release. As I laid
in my bed drafting the release, I just could not get comfortable and the
"cramps" continued. I was stubborn though - I had to finish it. I
promised my team. I hit send at 1:49
p.m. I stood up to go down stairs and clean up a few things and the cramps got
worse. I got a text from Jack that said he was going to Lowes....I told him to
hurry.
In the next twenty minutes I went into labor denial. Inside I knew I was in labor, but I was trying to
convince myself otherwise. I started to boil chicken, folded laundry, started
to wash the sheets and even had a friend stop by. The "cramps" got
worse and I sent Jack a get home now
text and asked my mom to dust off the car seat base. Within 10 minutes of his
arrival, we were off to the hospital. By 3 p.m. I was 6.5 cm and was admitted
to the hospital. Here we go!!
My first delivery took so long that mentally I was thinking
the baby would be born on Christmas day, but the hospital staff was convinced
that I would have it that evening. Sounded good to me. I elected to go drug
free, and I have to say - it was a FAR better experience than delivering
Shelby with an epidural. The last hour was intense and the mantra of
"you'll know when it is time to push," is a true statement. With Jack by my side and rubbing my back with
every painful contraction, we swiftly welcomed Sienna Noelle Schenk into the
world at 8:33 p.m. with just a handful of pushes. Maybe three? She was beautiful and almost the exact size as
Shelby. Sienna was 9 lbs 8.5 oz (so they round up to 9lbs 9 oz) and Shelby was
9 lbs 8.3 oz (so they left her at 9lns 8oz). Her cheeks were a conversation
starter from moment one. And those lips....my girls have beautiful lips.
Welcome to the world Sienna. Your future is bright, your
soul is pure and you have already brought us so much joy!
No comments:
Post a Comment