A New Start
Today we are starting Shelby at a new school - Lighthouse
Academy. I think I have more anxiety about it than anyone else.....even though
in my heart, I feel like it will be a good place for her (and our #2)! I didn't
have any huge issues with her former school (like I did when I left her first
school), but I also was not 100% at peace with it. After Jack switched from 24
Hour Fitness to Lifetime Fitness, the school was no longer in a logical
location. A major reason why we picked Childtime was due to its proximity to
Jack's job. The new school is less than a mile away from Lifetime. There were also a few "mommy
voices" speaking to me about Shelby's school....I felt that she was on
pace to outgrow the program. I noticed that an increasing percentage of the children (mostly boys!) were
not very well behaved and/or came from families that did not share our same
values. And finally, turnover had increased in recent months. For more than a
year, there was nearly zero turnover, but since the summer months, I have
observed more and more.
So with that - we found the Lighthouse Academy. In addition
to its location, it seems well organized, more structured, attracts families a
bit more like ours and the ratios are great. In the baby room, for example,
there are six babies and three teachers. In a typical Las Vegas/Henderson baby
room, you'd find a 4 babies: 1 teacher ratio. I don't think it was a coincidence
that all the babies in that one room were happy and either being played with or
being held. Additionally, Jack and I
have a lot of "must haves" that we don't necessarily find at all child
care facilities....limited holidays, good pick up/drop off schedule and DANCE CLASS! One
thing I felt awful abut was pulling Shelby from her weekly at-school dance
class, but this school has it too for the same price. Thank goodness. One thing
they don't have is a food program, so I will be packing lunches, but it's a trade off I am willing to make. Shelby is not a very picky eater anyway, so I
think she'll be fine.
As for Shelby. she is most excited about her new lunch box, thermos
and backpack. She has asked a series of adorable questions like "Will
there be an office?" "Will
there be a food cart?" "Do they have swings?" so I can tell she
is processing it on a deeper level. I am not sure who will have a longer first
day today - me or Shelby? She will know one little girl in her class, Mila,
from her soccer team. Mila is normally only there on Thursday and Friday, but
with the holiday this week, she is going on Monday and Tuesday. Jack took her
last week to take a look and we have talked about it for 10 days or so. Wish us
all luck. On with the adventure. My hope is that by the time I have to put a
tiny baby in there, all the kinks will have been worked out and Shelby will
take pride in the fact that
"sissy" is coming to here school.
Wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment