Because Shelby's birthday fell on a Sunday, we were able to celebrate her special day together. I picked up a couple cupcakes the day before and several family members had sent gifts, so we had enough fodder for a special morning. When I went to get Shelby out of bed I said, "Happy Birthday, do you want to open some presents?!" The first word out of her mouth: "Cupcake?" Welcome to the mind of a toddler.
We made a special breakfast and, half terrified she'd break it, I let Shelby use the red plate because it was her special day. I suppose we're not making memories allowing it to collect dust up on the shelf.
As usual, she could have cared less about her food, so we moved on to presents. We had the pleasure of Facetime-ing with Carli, Moose and Mowgli, she Shelby was able to open their gift with a live audience! She definitely understands the concept of presents now: something she wants, that she has to tear all apart to get to her prize.
After she tore into the final gift, she wanted some milk, so I gave in. I figured the cupcake request was about next and I rather he belly be full of milk, than cake!
And finally - CUPCAKE! Much to my surprise (and delight!) she did not eat much of it. She picked and ate some of the frosting, but was very happy to doing so.
Happy Second Birthday Shelby Clare. You'll never imagine nor fully understand the joy you bring to our lives every moment of every day! xo
No comments:
Post a Comment